Established in 1964, the Giles County Christian Mission has been serving the people of Giles County for over forty years. We remain committed to servicing those who are in need and distress of basic needs.. We serve an average of 74 families per month with clothing and food.
A Board of Directors, consisting of twelve elected members serving a three year term, oversees the operation of the mission. The board consists of an equal number of laity and clergy, representing a broad cross section of the Giles county religious community.
The programs provided by the Mission include
· Back to School Backpack: Provides backpack with school supplies to young students. The Mission provided 63 backpacks during the past operating year in 2008.
· Coat/Food Drives: Gives out coats and food in the winter time to those in need. Sponsored by different community organizations and churches.
· Holiday Season Food Boxes: Donates food boxes with turkey and ham for families during the holidays. Sixty three families were given boxes valued at $100.00 each this past year.
· Lions Club Shopping Tour: We participate in the Pearisburg Lions Club Christmas Shopping Tour by setting up a temporary store of ‘gently used’ clothing (at substantial discounts) to be purchased by the participants for their families.
· Toy Drives for Christmas: Churches and civic organizations in the county do a “new toy” drives at Christmas for the Mission. Last year 65 families were assisted with toys.
The Mission is funded by the United Fund of Giles county (the largest supporter of the Mission); the Catholic Diocese of Richmond, Va; local churches; community organizations and individual donors. Llocal schools, Girls Scouts and Boy Scouts sponsor food drives through the year to stock the food pantry.
Hours: Monday – Friday 10am – 2pm
Contac: Nancy Haynie, 766 N. Main Street, Pearisburg, Va 24134 Ph: 540-921-3006